Isn’t Autumn awesome? Leaves are falling, temperatures are dropping, and pumpkins are popping up everywhere. What a fun time of year!
But sometimes, Fall also creates some challenges for pet paw-rents.
So, let’s take a look at four important Fall safety tips for dogs that you should keep in mind.
1. Hair of the Dog
Unless you live in a warm climate year-round, seasonal support for Fido’s fur is beneficial. As temperatures fall, our pups rely on their coat to keep them toasty and protected when playing in the yard or going for long, leafy walks with their hoomans.
You can help keep it in tip-top shape by:
- Keeping it clean. Regular bathing is recommended, but don’t overdo it or you might strip your dog’s skin of its natural oils. Once or twice a month should be fine, depending on how much time your pup spends outdoors.
- Brushing it regularly. Long or short hair will look better if brushed daily to remove dander and old hair. If your four-legged friend sheds a lot, brushing is a must – just take them outside and save your floors!
- Functional supplements. Helping to keep their hair healthy and shiny couldn’t be easier. Fish oil (such as Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil) contains Omega-3 fatty acids, which are well-known for supporting skin moisture and coat health. Try putting the oil straight onto their food, as dogs love the taste.
2. Seasonal Allergies
Although many of us look forward to Fall, some people suffer from autumnal allergies. And yes, dogs can get them, too. So, some poor pooches may need a helping paw to get through it!
When the weather cools, weeds such as goldenrod and ragweed release pollen into the air – and ultimately into all our noses. Mold is another culprit, as piles of Fall leaves provide an ideal environment for its growth.
Plus, as we spend more time indoors and turn on the heat for the first time, dust and dust mites can flourish, too, causing allergies to some hounds and hoomans!
Your pup may show some signs of discomfort if these Fall factors are giving them a ruff time.
What You Can Do to Help
- Supplements can provide immune and seasonal allergy support for your furry friend. Our Aller-Immune Bites are specially formulated with ingredients such as Salmon Oil, Probiotics, and EpiCor® Pets to support immune function and may promote a healthy histamine response. Discuss this and any other treatment options with your dog’s veterinarian.
- Those regular baths we recommended above can go a long way to help your pet feel better and keep the allergens off their skin & coats. Try using an itch-soothing shampoo with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E.
- You can dust, sweep, and vacuum more. Try to keep windows closed, too.
3. Peace for Pups!
Fall marks the start of the Holiday season when people get together, and parties abound. Our fur babies can easily get overwhelmed when many people enter their homes. Voices and music get louder, kiddos run around and scream, and strange noises such as party poppers or fireworks burst out of nowhere.
This can be a stressful time of year for any pooch. And if the thought of a big Thanksgiving gathering or Holiday bash sends your pup into a panic, try to help keep them comfortable and calm with the following Fall safety tips for dogs.
- To keep your pup mellow, try introducing them to people one at a time. Or put them behind a baby gate, so they feel more secure.
- Our Calming Bites collection of tasty functional supplements may be the support you’re looking for. Get ahead of the game and give your best bud one before your guests arrive.
- If things get too crazy, you might want to consider putting your dog in a quiet room away from all the hustle and bustle. Turn the TV on or some soothing music, and let them curl up on their favorite bed with a toy. Remember to check in on them every now and again and give them lots of reassuring hugs!
4. Support the Spring in Their Step
Crisp, Autumn temperatures help the leaves change into the spectacular new colors we all love. But the cooling effects of the air can affect our furry faves in two ways – one good and one not so good.
There’s no doubt that dogs LOVE it when Fall arrives and going outside no longer causes them to pant right away and rush to get back indoors. The other side of the coin is that cold air can adversely affect dogs with less get up.
Supplements for joint health are a great option to help your pet stay mobile all season long. We’re proud of our Mobility Bites products because they include ingredients such as Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM to support hip and joint function.
Trying a functional supplement may keep the pep in your pup’s prance! Let the cold air begin!
Don’t Sweat the Fall Stuff!
These paw-some Fall safety tips for dogs will leaf you and your goofball ready to rock the upcoming season.
Does your pup hit seasonal snags? If they do, we’d love for you to tell us about them. We’re always interested in your stories and insights.
If you’d like to learn more about our collection of products, you can also reach out to us directly at 1-800-738-0661 or email@example.com.