Carrots are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamin A and we love when we can incorporate them into Fido’s diet! These carrot cake treats are easy to make and perfect in size to treat your fur-bestie to.
Carrot Cake Treats
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (be sure it does not contain Xylitol, which is not a pet-friendly ingredient)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups oat flour
- ½ cup grated carrots (make sure they’re peeled first)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix the applesauce, peanut butter and egg with a hand-mixer Add in the oat flour, carrots and coconut flakes until just incorporated
- Sprinkle some extra oat flour to a flat surface and knead a few times
- Roll out the dough to about ½ inch thickness with a rolling pin
- With cookie cutters, cut out carrot cake treats and place on baking sheet
- Bake about 18-20 minutes until golden brown
- Let cool and give to Fido to enjoy!
Hey Anna! We like to use oat flour for the nutritional benefits that oats provide. We recommend consulting your vet just to make sure that the white flour is okay for your pup because white flour can sometimes cause tummy troubles for furry friends.
Can I use regular white flour?
We definitely don’t want to leave your fur-baby out this Easter! For this recipe, you could try using half the peanut butter and no coconut oil, or switch up the recipe and try making Strawberry Banana Hearts instead! Here is the link to that recipe —> https://zestypaws.com/blogs/news/fido-eats-strawberry-banana-hearts?pos=2&_sid=88dd909bb&ss=r
I probably can’t make these for my pooch who has had pancreatis. Is there a low fat Easter treat option to make?